Dealing with probate
The death of someone close can be very difficult to cope with, but it’s also important to deal with the practical problems that follow, particularly the administration of the estate.
If you are the executor, or are looking after the affairs of someone who has died, we can offer professional help and advice to ensure that matters are dealt with quickly and efficiently, with the minimum of fuss.
In straightforward situations, where there is a Will, this is the type of service that we can provide on your behalf:
- Deal with the appointed executors or take on the responsibilities of executor
- Arrange payment of the funeral expenses
- Value and collect all assets
- Apply to the Court for a Grant of Probate
- Handle the sale of any property, including the preparation of a Home Information Pack
- Pay any income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax
- Pay the debts of the estate
- Distribute assets to the beneficiaries named in the Will
If there is no Will, the situation can be more complicated. We can advise on the legal position and try to achieve a beneficial outcome for you and your family. Even if there is an existing Will, we can sometimes help you by advising on a Deed of Variation to make any necessary alterations to reflect changed circumstances or to reduce any inheritance tax liability.
We offer a FREE INITIAL TELEPHONE ADVICE SERVICE to the family of a person who has passed away and who was previously a client of the firm.
What do I need to tell you?
Other services you might need
Making a Will
Inheritance tax planning
Introduction to a Financial Advisor